Waltons Music for Schools Competition 2017
Announcing the 2017 Waltons Music for Schools Competition, a non-profit national event celebrating music in Irish schools!
Presented by Waltons Music and Waltons New School of Music, in association with RTÉ lyric fm and the National Concert Hall.
EligibilityAll primary and post-primary schools recognised by the Department of Education in the Republic of Ireland are eligible to enter. (Since the competition began in 2012, schools from all 26 counties have participated.)
EntryEntering a school in the Competition requires an entry form, photo and video of an ensemble piece or song, performed by an instrumental, vocal or mixed group from the school (maximum 40 performers), that in some way addresses the 2017 Competition theme of ‘Music Has No Borders’. The performance can be in any genre or combination of genres – classical, popular, traditional, jazz, world, etc. – and can be performed by any combination of singers or instrumentalists you choose. Anything goes!
Performances & PrizesThe Competition will culminate in a gala Finalists Concert at the National Concert Hall, in which twelve Finalist school groups (six primary and six post-primary) perform before their peers and two distinguished adjudicators. At the end of the concert, a total of €10,000 worth of vouchers for musical instruments and equipment from Waltons Music will be awarded to six winning primary and post-primary schools, including two First Prizes of €3,000 vouchers.
2017 Competition CalendarFriday 10th March, 5 pm - Entry Deadline
- Deadline for schools to submit their entries (consisting of an entry form, video recording of the ensemble piece or song, and photograph).
10 – 21 March - Selection of Finalists
- Twelve Finalist schools (six primary and six post-primary) are selected by our initial judging panel.
Wednesday 22nd March, 10 am – 12 pm - Announcement of Finalists
- The twelve Finalist schools are announced by Liz Nolan on RTÉ lyric fm.
- Finalist school videos are added to the Waltons Music for Schools Competition YouTube channel
Tuesday 2nd May • Finalists Concert, National Concert Hall
- The twelve Finalists school groups perform in a gala Finalists Concert. The six winning schools are announced after the concert.
- Finalists Concert videos are added to the Music for Schools Competition YouTube channel.