Assistant Box Office Manager
Job Title: Assistant Box Office Manager
Responsible to: Box Office and Sales Manager
Place of Work: Based in the National Concert Hall (NCH) in Dublin
Hours of work: 41.25 hours per week, shifts as agreed, Monday to Sunday This post includes evening and weekend shifts on a rostered basis
The National Concert Hall (NCH) is Ireland’s national cultural institution for music, proudly serving the Irish public since 1981 through live music performances and significant educational and cultural programmes.
Our purpose is to excite, entertain and engage audiences with a music programme that will enhance immeasurably the cultural life of Ireland.
In doing so we present over 1,000 events every year covering music, the arts and education. We are a central hub for some of Ireland’s most exciting music organisations providing residence to nationally significant groups including the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra, Irish Baroque Orchestra, Music Network/Music Generation, Chamber Choir Ireland and Crash Ensemble.
Our vision is to be a world-class centre for music and a symbol of national pride for Ireland. The ambition of our programme is to engage, surprise and inspire, as well as entertain. Above all, we aspire to share the magic and wonder of live performance and to be enriched by the cultures and ideas we value.
We are more than a venue. We are an international centre for musical performance and a leading voice in Ireland for the development of music and its appreciation. We are focused on scope rather than genre, nation rather than capital – proudly Irish and proudly of Ireland.
The ethos of inclusivity, diversity and equality is at the heart of the NCH.
Exciting strategic milestones in the next few years include the transition of the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra to the NCH and the delivery of a significant refurbishment programme which will enhance the venue and its facilities considerably.
The post of Assistant Box Office Manager sits within the Box Office and Sales team of NCH, which is an integral part of the Marketing and Communications Department. This Department brings together sales, box office, communications, marketing, audience development, online/digital, public affairs, information, media and press, graphic design and publications for all areas of NCH activity.
The work of the externally-focussed Box Office and Sales team to generate income through ticket sales and to provide excellent customer-centred service to Customers.
The Assistant Box Office Manager is a key member of the Box Office management team. Reporting to the Box Office & Sales Manager, the Assistant Manager is responsible for assisting with the effective management and operation of the Box Office with specific responsibility for day to day management of the call centre.
The role encompasses management of customer service, staff, sales and accounting and ticketing systems and ensures a hospitable, smooth and efficient operation providing the highest level of customer service to all NCH Customers, visitors, internal clients/departments/colleagues and to external promoters and hirers.
- To motivate and lead the box office team by maintaining the highest standards; dealing promptly and professionally with all requests and providing excellent support to Box Office Agents.
- Duty management presence on roster pre-concert, ensuring Box Office Agents are informed of all relevant information for the event and liaising with House Management staff.
- Manage and keep up to date Box Office processes and procedures.
- Maintaining a strong working knowledge of the ticketing system, upskilling when necessary.
- Working with the Box Office Supervisor to set up events, promo-codes webpages etc.
- Assisting and supporting the Box Office Manager and deputising for them when appropriate.
- Remaining fully up-to-date with marketing campaigns and special offers across both events and NCH Friends and fundraising campaigns.
- To deal with any special or exceptional circumstances arising from the day-to-day management of the Box Office.
Staff management, supervision and training
- Ensure the Box Office team are motivated to maximise sales and provide high standards of Customer Care.
- Prepare Box Office rotas and ensure Box Office is staffed correctly, managing staffing hours against a budget.
- Continuously monitor staffing levels and the rota in line with peak and off peak booking times to ensure that queues are effectively managed and kept to a minimum.
- Work with the Box Office and Sales Manager to recruit Box Office staff, according to NCH HR guidelines and oversee on-going training for them and existing staff.
- Identify training needs for staff and ensure an ongoing programme of coaching, training and instruction both in-house and externally including identifying opportunities for team-building and motivational events.
- Manage Box Office agent performance through regular feedback sessions.
- Organise and lead regular Box Office meetings providing clear communications and transfer of information to the team.
- Support the organisation’s approach and compliance in relation to GDPR and ensure that the Box Office team are trained and up to date with same.
- As part of the Box Office and Sales Management Team, assist in managing and delivering the main Customer Service and information point for NCH, ensuring the Box Office provides a professional, customer-focused and welcoming service for all visitors including external promoters, visiting artists/companies and the public.
- Work with the Head of Marketing and Communications, the Department staff and the Box Office and Sales Management Team and staff to monitor and improve Customer Service levels across the Box Office team and provide proposals and feedback to the organisation, and individual staff members, where appropriate.
- Manage customer comments and complaints in a timely manner, communicating relevant feedback to the Box Office and Sales Manager, to assist with ongoing improvements in service.
- Liaise effectively with nominated promoters/external hirers over their events, assisting with sales advice and tactics to maximise sales.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous professional development, ensuring that professional skills are regularly updated.
Trouble shoot any technical issues that may arise through support portals with ICT and AudienceView.
- Provide the highest level of customer service at all times.
- Supply regular reports to the Box Office and Sales Manager regarding Call Centre performance, call volumes, Box Office Agent performance etc.
- Liaise with the Operations team to ensure the Health and Safety standards in the Call Centre are maintained at all times.
- Deliver on any other duties that may reasonably be required as the role evolves
You should be a highly motivated, organised and proactive individual with a positive outlook and flexible attitude.
- 2+ years' experience managing or supervising in a Box Office environment.
- Proven Customer Service skills with a passion for providing Customers with an exceptional experience.
- Excellent leadership and motivational skills.
- Full understanding of GDPR and its impact on data management.
- A high level of proficiency in ICT and the ability to learn different systems.
- Excellent written communications skills and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to prioritise work for self and others with close attention to detail.
- Strong problem-solving skills and an ability to overcome obstacles by seeking alternative solutions.
- The ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Excellent decision making and prioritisation capabilities.
- Experience with AudienceView and/or other ticketing system.
-Experience of working in the cultural sector with an interest in music and/or the wider creative industries.
-Experience in a busy sales environment working with sales targets.
- To maintain the NCH’s high standard of customer care across all areas of organisational activity
- To use IT and digital applications to service the post’s administrative needs
- To work towards the achievement of the NCH’s organisational goals
- As the post-holder may be the first point of contact for many external organisations, and individuals s/he is expected to remain up to date with, and aware of, developments within the NCH and its work.
- As the post requires handling, processing and recording of restricted information, confidentiality is required to be maintained at all times
This is a permanent and full time position with pension entitlements. Salary scale is €29,609 - €46,891. The role will be offered at the first point of the Executive Officer PPC scale at €29,609.
Should this position be of interest to you, please forward your curriculum vitae of no more than two pages accompanied by a one page case for your appointment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 31st July 2019, 5pm.
The NCH is an equal opportunities employer.